Monday 30 January 2012

The thrill of the 'day of release' trip to the record shop..

Lots of hype to this release. It's been flagged up as of one of the big albums of the year. And, when i was looking at the releases coming out this month, it was the only monday I marked down in my memory as a day to get along to aitchemvee. So off I trooped, only stopping on the way back to buy some stain remover and coffee. Onto the cd player it went. And first impressions? Hmmm. 6/10. Better than average but only by a 1950's throwback whisker. Nice beats, nice strings, not 100% on some of the rest of it.





5 comments:

  1. I have to concur. Pia not sold either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slightly better on second, third, fourth listen but still not really mad on it. I know its a 'pop' record, but it seems a bit too pop, and wanders away from the gangster nancy sinatra thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't despair my friend: new Tindersticks LP out soon: that'll get your tingle in a tangle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's funny. i too had it marked down as a date to remember, but having heard most of the tracks already i couldn't be bothered buying the thing.
    aside from born to die, video games and a couple of other songs it seemed a bit average.
    maybe she will just make a few great singles and decent videos ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I think that's right.

    Alan, I'll wait for your verdict on the tindersticks before i take the plunge.

    ReplyDelete