Tuesday 19 February 2013

the february 'classic'

Gave; 'I'm wide awake, it's morning' by Bright Eyes.
Received; 'Blue Lines' by Massive Attack.

Now, there is a bit of history in these selections. They are both more or less in the 'elite' section of the classic shelf of their respective giver's collection. For me, the bright eyes cd is at the top of any list of best albums i might make. Places 10-2 are interchangeable but no.1 is bagsed by this one. So..we will see what the big man makes of it. Keep your eyes peeled and focussed on this location for the verdict. I have to say I have given up hope of anyone liking it as much as i do. I've tried to sing its praises to one or two folk over the years but to no avail. It may just be me.

Likewise, Blue Lines is clearly a tried and tested favourite of the big guy. Never before have i encountered someone who loved an album so much they had the logo from it tattoo'd on their person. 


Oh, hang on, that's not quite true. This guy's ex-wife had a tattoo of the 'dark side of the moon' logo on her upper arm, but pretend i haven't remembered that. 


And no-one I know has had a friend comission a rubber stamp in celebration of the album's artwork. [And this time i know of no other.]


So we're on 'sacred cow' territory here in classic corner.


Blue Lines then. This is not something i am coming at completely afresh. I remember hearing this from a friend back in my Leicester days. And of course some of the tunes were singles so I know them too. It came out when i was 15, and i remember unfinished sympathy being on the chart show back in the day. Wasn't there some stink about the gulf war and the name of the band having to change? I seem to remember that. But i do not own a copy and therefore it qualifies as fair game to feature in this series.


I had this cd in the post from the tall guy on monday. It is the remaster version that came out last year. Nice card sleeve, but...plastic jewel case inside.


I gave it two back to back spins at breakfast today (back to back spinnage is a sign of approval). I love the bass line on 'safe from harm'. I found it very pleasant listening. I can imagine it being a good cd to play when driving around a city. A good cd to listen to when exploring 'recreational pursuits' too, perhaps. The ones that lead you to feeling a bit 'tired and emotional' if you know what i mean.


A really smart listen, music-wise. I'm still working out what i get from the words. A bit of social isolation or disatisfaction at modern living, I think [I appear to have slipped back into the wine tasting style from last month]. They're an electronic version of Eels, aren't they? Different singers/different line ups but with a central group of main players. It's the production work that the main three guys do is it? Or are they rapping on it?


Very good listen. Many thanks to the lofty lad. 


A mark out of ten?


Okay then.


I'm going for 8. And that is high by my benchmarks. See you again in March.



No comments:

Post a Comment