Wednesday 4 December 2013

the november 'classic'

Gave; 'Once' by the cast of the film.
Received; 'The Boatman's Call
' by Nick Cave.

Nick Cave. I haven't ever bought a Nick Cave CD so Al was on safe territory here with this month's classic. No, tell a lie i bought a 'best of' once but I haven't listened to it yet.

This is from the mid nineties and according to the notes in the cd case it came out after the Murder Ballards album. Of the bits and pieces of Nick Cave's music that i've heard it's been the bad motherfucker stagger lee type tunes that I've liked the best. You know, all that red right hand prophet of doom stuff.

The Boatman's Call is a much more straight set of music. Pared back arrangements and more honest, plaintive themes in the lyrics. A couple of really nice tunes but I think it might have worked a bit better as an EP, I found it went along a little too far in the same direction, which seemed to be that of a sad chap feeling sad. I'm into a bit of morose noodling as much as the next man but I think this cd is quite a hard listen at times. The best tunes are in the first half of the cd. Brompton Oratory, I enjoyed, as I did the first tune.

If it had been more of the bad mother fucking bullets in his mother fucking head shenanigans then this would have been 8 maybe 9 out of 10.

As it is....... 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment