Thursday 17 November 2011

What is a blog?

What is a blog? I am not really sure. Different things to different people. For me, it is something that I don't really think about as something for other people to see. It's primarily a collection of things that interest me, odd things and things that i want to remember. Like a diary i suppose. I was thinking about this the other day. When we moved to NZ I used to keep a journal/diary thing. It wasn't so much written down stuff as it was a blank book that I stuck ticket stubs and photos in to remind me of the things we did.

Clearing out some stuff from home (see earlier blog about football programmes) turned up a few similar items to the things I used to put in the NZ journal. Why have I kept this stuff so long? There's no value to it.    It's not even things that I dwell on for that long when I actually come across them again.

If this blog is just a way of me recording things primarily for my own benefit then wouldn't it make sense to blog these artefacts, and kick them up into the 'cloud'? That way I could chuck out what are actually meaningless bits of paper, but could still retain that brief blast of nostalgia when I come across the photos of the items on old posts from the blog.

And when I get older (if I am still putting random photos on a blog) I can look back on a few decades of random thoughts and random photos of random pictures of random bits of paper. And, providing that Google doesn't go bust and junk all the info from their particular bit of the cloud then these digitised memories will carry on somewhere...forever? 

So for purely selfish nostalgia and for zero interest to anyone else...

Here is, with no particular meaning or relevance...

The contract for my first job, for the local supermarket. £2.20 an hour? Sharks.


Some ticket stubs from when we started to go to the cinema at Basingstoke on a regular basis. 1994. A golden age of cinema. Ace Ventura, Cool Runnings, The Mask. I saw them all. Yes, these can definitely go in the bin now. 17yrs i've had these. [why?] Still, nice depth of field shenanigans going on here..



More to follow..

No comments:

Post a Comment