Wednesday 6 March 2013

culture, melonfarmers, culture

Now this is a very non trendy tale.

On Saturday night i went to The Courtyard theatre to see The Gondoliers. Which is an operetta (I think this is the correct term) by Gilbert and Sullivan. I've never seen any of their things before, and truth be told I wouldn't have ordinarily gone to see this thing but I had a reason or two. Firstly it was dad's birthday and he likes this kinda thing. Secondly it had a family friend of N's family acting in it so it was a group trip out for everyone to see this person. My parents came up from 'South' for the weekend and came too.

As per my trip to Verona and the opera, this was straying out of my comfort zone. IT WAS AMATEUR THEATRE. Hey, don't hate the players, hate the operetta.

Thoughts.

Actually quite funny, quite entertaining. A tale of mix ups and confusion. Of love and murky pasts. There was a lot of knockabout physical comedy in the style of one man, two guvnors, that I saw a while back. A very high standard for what was an amateur production. I think they had a professional director but all the cast were locals, a GP had one of the main roles. It also had a few things to say about republicanism and monarchies and that kind of shizzle.

I couldn't have gone into it with much more of a closed mind. To be honest I was going because it was dad's birthday and it had someone that N knew acting in it. I was thinking that a successful result would be if I managed to stay awake (i'd been on a night shift the night before so had only had a few hours kip after my shift)...

They won me over.

I'm still not a huge G+S fan. I'll not be buying any cds or going to many more productions. But that night at The Courtyard was really entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment