Wednesday 27 March 2013

the march 'classic'


Gave; 'Rough Trade shops, Bella Union 15' by Various.
Received; 'Ambient 2; The Plateaux of Mirror' by Brian Eno and Harold Budd.

Okay. I've left this a bit late in the month.

Al slipped the March classic my way a few days ago. And to describe my views on it I have to tell you a bit about my first listen to it. My job (as most of the people reading this will know) involves travelling about various bits of Herefordshire. 

This cd was given to me one Saturday morning at the start of a shift. And early on in that shift I needed to accompany Al on a trip out. On the night before there had been a heavy snowfall, and as we set off on our journey along the slushy roads I slid in this disc so that i could take in some of the 'sounds' while we drove. And what a pleasant surprise. As we drove around the snowy landscape, rows and rows of frosty hop frames passed by and the twinkly piano of messrs budd and eno worked a treat. Similar in some ways to the noodling featured on the nils frahm cd that i enjoyed towards the end of last year. Very relaxing, no drama, no explosions. The cd looped round to the start again without me even noticing.

And that memory of how I first heard the cd was a positive one. A chilled out conversation with the big man. Dramatic snowy scenery passing by as we drove. And relaxing glacial sounds on the stereo.

Of the three cds so far this has been the best.

Mark out of ten?

8 but oh so nearly a nine.

Well recommended, Al. I'm enjoying this.

1 comment: